Friday 22 August 2014

"I want a Glen Keane style animation turned around in a week for $100"

As a freelancer I am a member of a lot of freelance pool sites which are just great, have a look http://www.peopleperhour.com/ There is quite a thorough selection process meaning that the freelancers on there are of a good standard and reliable.

However, I also spend a fair amount of time trawling adverts on google and general job advertising sites. I have become increasingly aware of how little people know about animation and the processes involved to create an animated piece.

My particular peeve is "I want a Glen Keane style animation turned around in a week for $100"

I wish that these overly optimistic clients would take the time to look at some of Glen Keane's work and understand that not only is he one of the most talented animators but also the rigorous creative process even a rough animation takes. Below is a video of a rough animation from Tarzan, the drawings are spectacular even in this rough state and the movement is so captivating and fluid.

$100? I think not!